Visnyk LNAU: Agronomy 2018 №22(2): 91-95
QUALITATIVE INDICES OF THE FRUITS OF THE OLD APPLE VARIETIES RESISTANT TO THE SCAB OF THE TRANSCARPATHIAN REGION
Margitay V., Degree-seeking Student
Uzhhorod National University
In this research are investigated the fruits of the native varieties of apple from Transcarpathian region, which were selected by screening methods. Varieties that were resistant to the scab were selected: Krasa Zakarpattya, Solivarske, Durnayka, Polovanya, Batul, Stetin Red and Ferkovanya.
Aboriginal endangered varieties are adapted to the soil and climatic conditions of the Transcarpathian region, have resistance to major diseases, do not require careful care. Trees of apple varieties of local origin are adapted to local soils. They grow well on them, have a healthy appearance, and give generous yields, without biennal bearing, with long life of tree.
Before choosing of native varieties, the diversity of apple cultivars in the Transcarpathian region was first studied. From this list we have chosen varieties that grow on the territory of our region for the longest time and are less susceptible to diseases (scab and powdery mildew), have good taste qualities, are good for long storage, have satisfactory caliber of fruits. They have high productive levels without the use of pesticides. Their description was carried out.
The largest fruits were found in the Durnayka variety, smaller fruits (medium size) – in the varieties Polovanya, Ferkovanya, Solivarske, Batul, Krasa Zakarpattya. The smallest fruits were found in the Stetin Red.
The most suitable part of the Transcarpathian region for organic gardening is the foothill subzone. Here, the soils were under the least pesticidal load.
apple, scab resistant varieties, organic gardening, preservation of the gene pool, qualitative indices of the fruits
- Pauk I. F., Nody S. F, Vasilina V. I. et al. Agroecological potential of agricultural lands of the Transcarpathian region. Uzhhorod; V. Bakta, 2009. 107 p.
- Lyubimova L. Aplle in Transcarpathia. Uzhhorod: Transcarpathian Regional Printing House, 1965. 102 p.
- Sharapatka B., Urban I. Organic agriculture. Olomouc: Bioinstitut, 2010.402 p.
- A Grower’s Guide to Organic Apples / G. M. Peck et al. NYS IPM Publication. N. 223. Cornell University, 2013, 70 р. URL: http://nysipm.cornell.edu/organic_ guide/apples.pdf (Last accessed: 10.03.2018).
- Łabanowska-Bury D. Rozwiązania dla sadŏw ekologicznych. Miesięcznik praktycznego sadownictwa SAD. 2014. № 4. P. 120–125.
- Vliegen-Verschure A. Apple scab management in organic production begins with prevention. European fruit magazine. 2014. № 4. Р. 12–13.