Environmental assessment of PLUMBUM and CADMIUM in plant litter and soil of the Yavoriv National Natural Park

new site

This site is no longer updated!
The new website of the magazine is located at https://visnyk.lnup.edu.ua/

Visnyk LNAU: Agronomy 2019 №23: 5-10

Environmental assessment of PLUMBUM and CADMIUM in plant litter and soil of the Yavoriv National Natural Park

Snitynskyi V., doctor of biological sciences
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-9633-1004
Khirivskyi P., candidate or of biological sciences
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-7246-9260
Korinets' Yu., candidate of biological sciences
ORCID ID: 0000-0001-8920-3186
Lviv National Agrarian University

https://doi.org/10.31734/agronomy2019.01.005

Annotation

Recently, as a result of the industrial heavy metal pollution of the environment, the facts of acute and chronic toxic effect manifestations have become more frequent.

Therefore, it is important to study the accumulation processes of two most toxic pollutants, namely: plumbum and cadmium, in the tree waste, the upper and lower forest floor as well as the soils of the Yavoriv National Natural Park.

The conducted studies have shown that the plumbum concentration in the plant litter of the Yavoriv NNP varies widely enough and can reach up to 11,4 mg/kg. Its concentration was a little lower in the upper and lower forest floor and was respectively 5,8–8,3 and 4,8–8,0 mg/kg of dry weight. Significant plumbum variations were recorded in the soil samples where the concentration of this element ranged from 17,0 to 30,0 mg/kg.

The accumulation of plumbum in the upper forest floor depends on a forest site type. The plumbum concentration in the upper floor is much higher in the pine forest than in the leafy forest. A reverse trend of the plumbum accumulation is observed in the lower forest floor.

Depending on a type of mesorelief the plumbum concentration in the investigated substrates is as follows: the highest concentration in the plant litter is observed in the lowered areas, upper and lower floors on the plateau. The lowest plumbum concentration in the upper and lower floor is observed on a slope, and the highest concentration is in the litter in the lowered areas. A similar trend is observed in the plumbum accumulation in soils.

The cadmium concentration in the plant litter ranges from 0,3 to 0,9 mg/kg. Its content was slightly lower in the upper and lower forest floor. The amount of this element in the soil samples ranged from 3,5 to 9,9 mg/kg.

Depending on the type of mesorelief the cadmium concentration in the studied substrates is as follows: the highest concentration in the litter is observed in the lowered areas, upper and lower floors on the plateau, whereas the lowest cadmium concentration in the litter of the upper and lower floor is observed on slopes. A similar trend is observed in the cadmium accumulation in soils.

Key words

plumbum, cadmium, soil, forest floor

Full text

pdf

Link

1. Henyk Ya.V. Accumulation of heavy metals in soils and phytomass of the complex green zone of Lviv: the dissertation author's abstract of the candidate of agricultural sciences. Lviv, 1994. 23 p.
  2. Hirii V. A., Kolisnyk I. A., Kosovets O. O., Tabachnyi L. Ya. State of pollution of the environment on the territory of Ukraine in 2011. Proceedings of the Ternopil Geophysical Observatory. Kyiv: Interpres LTD, 2012. Vol. 8 (22). P. 27–42.
  3. Huralchuk Zh. Z. The phytotoxicity of heavy metals and the resistance of plants to their action. Kyiv: Lohos, 2006. 208 p.
  4. Zhovynskyi Ye.Ya., Kuraieva I.V., Samchuk A.I. Heavy metals in soils of protected areas of Ukraine. Kyiv: Lohos, 2005. 104 p.
  5. Snitynskyi V. V., Khirivskyi P. R., Hnativ P. S., Korinets Yu. Ya., Panas N. Ye. Ecotoxicology. Kherson: Oldi-plius. 2018. 330 p.
  6. Yearbook of Soil Pollution of Ukraine according to the data of the hydrometeorological observation system for 2010. Kyiv: TsHO, 2011.
  7. Yakovenko O. V., Samchuk A. I., Kuraieva I. V., Manichev V. I. Features of soil contamination by cadmium and other heavy metals by non-ferrous metallurgy enterprises. Mineralogical Journal. 2011. № 2. P. 96–100.
  8. Kabata-Pendias A., Pendias H. Trace elements in Soils and Plants. CRC Press. 2001. 412 p.
титулка Екон